David Levy, M.D.
Dr. Levy has directed his lifelong passion for patient-centered health systems to the creation, management, and growth of significant healthcare businesses in the US and abroad.
He is an accomplished 'hands on' physician executive:
- Primary care physician and early leader in the managed care movement;
- Founder and Chief Executive of Franklin Health, Inc. (now part of United Health Group) one of the nation's first care management companies that transformed the treatment of complex patients in the US
- Global Health Industries leader for PwC, the largest professional services firm in the world. Responsible for all health care sectors, $US 2+ billion in revenue
- Chief Executive of AposTherapy, a revolutionary device company targeting cost and quality of chronic conditions of the axial skeleton
- Chief Executive of EHE, an employer wellness company
Dr. Levy has a specific interest and track record of achievement in complexity - patients, systems, and organizations. At Franklin Health, Dr. Levy used his insights to the problems of complex patients to create a scalable business that helped patients and their families throughout the US receive better and more satisfying care. As strategy leader at PwC (US), he led the effort to diagnose and recommend public health and hospital reform after Hurricane Katrina for the Louisiana Recovery Authority. He then went on to lead the team that helped the Department of Public Health of the state of California re-engineer their catastrophic surge response system. In both of those states he successfully engaged all of the system stakeholders - hospitals, private providers, payers, professional associations, organized labor, etc. to successful conclusion. As global leader at PwC, Dr. Levy led the firm's world-wide healthcare practice to prominence by navigating a complex matrix of domestic and international governance arrangements that resulted in PwC becoming a recognized leader in the provision of solutions to all healthcare sectors in over thirty countries. In 2014, he assumed leadership of AposTherapy, a global device company, and in 2017 became the CEO of EHE, a national preventive health company.
Dr. Levy is a widely recognized strategic thinker, who at the same time has executed on those strategies on behalf of his own enterprises, as well as for a wide variety of public and private sector entities. Drawing on an extremely deep and broad pool of business relationships, he brings global 'best-in-practice' solutions to the most important healthcare organizations in the industry. He currently sits on the boards of SulAmerica, the largest multi-line insurer in Brazil, Cedar Gate Technologies, AposTherapy Medical Assets, and EHE.
Professional and Business History
- 1983 - 1992 - Established a solo family practice that grew to a group practice serving Rockland County, NY and Bergen County, NJ.
- 1992 - 2004 - Founder & CEO - Franklin Health. Grew business from start through merger with Corning, Inc. in 1995. Re-purchased with private equity in 1997 after spinout of Quest and Covance from Corning. Merged company with Paradigm Health 2004, ultimately sold to Alere and then United Health Group.
- 2005 - 2013 - PwC Principal. Recruited to re-launch the health information technology practice in 2005. Rose steadily to leadership of global firm's $US >2 billion Health Industry practice.
- 2013-2018 – Board of Directors, Welldoc Inc., a leading mobile health company
- 2014 - 2017 - Global CEO - AposTherapy, Inc.
- 2017 – current – CEO - EHE
Active Boards of Director
- AposTherapy Medical Assets – Board of Directors 2014 - current
- SulAmerica - Board of Directors - January 2014 – current
- Cedar Gate Technologies – Board of Directors - June 2016 – current
- EHE – Board of Directors – 2017 - current
Education and Certifications
- Undergraduate, McGill University 1972-1974
- Medical, McGill University, M.D., C.M., 1974-1979 University Scholar
- Residency, University of Massachusetts, Family Practice, 1979-80
- Residency, McGill University, Family Practice & Community Health, 1980-83, Chief Resident 1983
- Fellowship, (Robert Wood Johnson/Community Health) McGill University, M.Sc., Epidemiology, 1980-83, Dean’s Honor Roll
- Master of Science in Epidemiology, 1983
- American Board of Preventative Medicine, 1984
- Fellow, American College of Preventative Medicine, 1985
- Married with six grown children
- Active swimmer, mountain biker, runner, amateur photographer, and collector
- Resident of New York City